For over 30 years, Naughty Dog has been crafting best-selling, critically acclaimed games that constantly push the boundaries of narrative, gameplay, and technology. Our most recent game, The Last of Us Part II, has received over 300 Game of the Year awards and three of our games are among the top 10 highest scored games on the PlayStation 4. As a part of the Naughty Dog legacy, you’ll become a part of continuing the development of extraordinary and enduring experiences for a broad, global range of audiences.
At Naughty Dog, Technical Artists are critical in developing visual features and driving the look of the game. Candidates are half-artist and half-programmer, with enough programming and math experience to write clean code, but with an artist’s eye for visual polish.
- Develop the team’s shader tech. Implement high-level features (example: cloth, wetness, mud packages). Also maintain low-level shader code organization and optimization
- Develop high-level lighting and post processing features (example: film grain, health effects, underwater rendering)
- Write well-architected code that can be built upon for years to come
- Work with the engineering team on the development of low-level rendering features
- Work with the Art Director to identify project-specific rendering needs and to develop an implementation plan
- Support the content team in debugging issues with tools, assets, or framerate
- Work between all art departments (environment, characters, VFX, etc.) on shared technology
- Create art assets that require high technical skill or specialist knowledge (example: a sniper scope lens, post processing tuning)
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed
Requirements & Skills:
- Strong experience with HLSL or GLSL shading languages. Intermediate experience with C++
- Ability to write robust code, both from a functional and architectural standpoint
- Strong artistic background and content development skills (can be texturing, lighting, vfx, or any other area where you have experience, but a strong artistic eye is a necessity!)
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Familiarity with content creation and game development pipelines
- Good oral and written skills
- 5+ years of production experience in VFX or video games
- Experience in Maya/Python programming
- Experience in other content creation software, as a user or tools developer; Houdini, Substance Designer, Substance Painter, etc.
As part of the Naughty Dog application process, candidates should expect to be given a technical interview and may be asked to complete an art test.