Systems Designer (Multiplayer)
For over 30 years, Naughty Dog has been crafting best-selling, critically acclaimed games that constantly push the boundaries of narrative, gameplay, and technology. Our most recent game, The Last of Us Part II, has received over 300 Game of the Year awards and three of our games are among the top 10 highest scored games on the PlayStation 4. As a part of the Naughty Dog legacy, you’ll become a part of continuing the development of extraordinary and enduring experiences for a broad, global range of audiences.
Embark on Naughty Dog’s newest adventure – the studio’s first standalone multiplayer game! We’re seeking to bring the same level of ambition and quality of our signature, story-driven games to this unique multiplayer project. This is a rare opportunity to make an impact in your discipline and craft an experience that will be enjoyed and shared by millions of players around the world.
We’re looking for a creative systems designer to join our team and contribute to this ambitious project. If you're someone who can come up with great gameplay systems with interesting choices while working in the constraints of a grounded universe, we'd love to get in touch!
- Design, implement, and balance gameplay systems such as player abilities and weapons
- Design and implement combat encounter objectives and dynamic events
- Prototype your ideas using our in-house scripting language and other tools
- Act as producer for your work, collaborating across disciplines to get work done and clear dependencies, ensuring deadlines are met, and championing aspects of the gameplay
- Work directly with artists, programmers, animators and other game designers to contribute to the vision of the game
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed
Requirements & Skills:
- 2+ Years AAA game development experience
- Knowledge of 3D math
- Experience with C++, C#, Lua, or other scripting language
- Strong scripting ability (Computer Science undergraduate degree or games scripting preferred)
- Strong methodology and problem solving ability and with a focus on creative, fun and innovative solutions
- Strong and effective communication skills and organizational ability
- Exceptional team player with the ability to collaborate without losing sight of the gameplay vision
- Willingness to take design direction when offered
- Deep knowledge of the multiplayer gaming landscape
- Understanding of narrative structure and how it relates to gameplay
- Good working knowledge of Maya, 3DS Max or similar 3D package
- Experience developing third-person action games
- UI design experience
- Understanding of networked programming patterns
As part of the Naughty Dog application process, candidates should expect to be given a technical interview and may be asked to complete a design test.