Character FX TD
For over 30 years, Naughty Dog has been crafting best-selling, critically acclaimed games that constantly push the boundaries of narrative, gameplay, and technology. Our most recent game, The Last of Us Part II, has received over 300 Game of the Year awards and three of our games are among the top 10 highest scored games on the PlayStation 4. As a part of the Naughty Dog legacy, you’ll become a part of continuing the development of extraordinary and enduring experiences for a broad, global range of audiences.
The Character FX TD is responsible to design and create character effects such as cloth, hair, fur, and physics-based muscle simulations. They will also be responsible to develop tools used in Character FX to help enhance the pipeline.
- Responsible for setting up and implementing cloth, hair, and muscle simulations on character, prop, and environment assets
- Tasked with providing technical animation support, which includes running simulations, cleaning up deformations and setting up “one-off” rig assets
- Working with Programmers to help develop and enhance cloth and muscle simulation both online and offline
- Collaborate with Rigging and Animation teams to create efficient and realistic physically based simulations for cinematics and gameplay
- Develop and maintain tools to assist in the creation of character animation and simulation
- Help to develop, maintain, and streamline the Character FX and Animation pipelines
Requirements & Skills:
- Expert understanding of Python
- Expert understanding of Maya or Houdini
- The ability to take initiative and work independently
- Extensive portfolio with examples of current, hands-on work; including cinematic quality character FX
- Experience with developing tools, scripts, and plug-ins to help streamline character FX workflow
- Experience in the film and/or game industry doing character FX production (cloth, hair and/or muscle simulation)
- Knowledge of Maya API
- Understanding of C++
- Solid Linear Algebra, 3d math
- Experience with writing Physics systems
As part of the Naughty Dog application process, candidates should expect to be given a technical interview and may be asked to complete an art test.