Cinematographer (Temporary Assignment)
This position is for a temporary engagement through our staffing partner DZConnex.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for this position.
We're looking for an experienced Cinematographer to join the Cinematography Team at Naughty Dog. Our ideal candidate will be both knowledgeable and passionate about visual storytelling and game design. With a deep understanding of Maya and years of experience in previs, layout, and scene direction, you should be able to demonstrate skills in camera blocking, performance directing, lighting, and editing.
- Break down scripts to best tell the story and create previs that considers every discipline as we work with multiple departments toward a common vision
- Craft shots and sequences that convey the narrative while keeping gameplay and design needs in mind
- Be a strong creative collaborator, with the ability to pitch your ideas verbally
- Direct the development of assets needed to build scenes including environment, props, character, and effects
- Direct performers during rehearsal and shoots to ensure we get the best data to quickly build scenes in Maya
- Communicate frequently with other developers, from the artists in concept and design to the technicians in tools and programming, to keep everyone involved in the overall storytelling process
- Communicate clearly with production staff to keep our team on schedule and raise concerns as necessary
- Help Improve our camera tools and documentation to create better workflows for artists across the studio
- Play the game frequently to best tell the story in context and keep the experience immersive
Requirements & Skills:
- Storytellers. The cinematography team are the visual storytellers. From script to shoot, we expect you to help build sets, animations, shots, scenes, and edits that help answer whatever question is being asked. We’ll work together to plan shoots, put final scenes together, and then get it all working in game, seamlessly and beautifully
- Team Attitude. We’re a small team that believes in open communication and exploration, all with a may-the-best-idea-win attitude.
- Maintaining a spirit of collaboration and excitement even through creative differences is a must
- Communication. We’re in a unique position to collaborate with every discipline in the office, teaching and learning with our peers as we develop ideas into action. Kind and clear communication skills are a must
- Initiative. We empower teammates to take ownership of scenes and tasks and value those who show grit and determination in pursuing our mutual goals and finding ways to unblock themselves when obstacles arise
- Creativity. Since we’re often at the inception of the creative process, each of us should have a deep creative toolkit from which to problem solve and build the blueprint for artists downstream
- Desire to Grow. We believe in a growth mindset. We’re at the forefront of what’s possible in interactive cinematic storytelling, and want you to be excited to learn, grow, and innovate along with us as we create thrilling and seamless experiences for gamers
- 5+ years in a supervisor or lead previs/layout/cinematography role
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Film, Production, or related field
- Thorough understanding of cinematic and editorial techniques
- A strong sense of timing and cinematic flair with a good eye for details
- Knowledge of real world camera rigs and operation
- Working knowledge of Maya, MotionBuilder, and Unreal Engine
- Experience with scripting and camera design work
If this position feels like a good fit, please submit your resume and reel!
As a part of the Naughty Dog application process, candidates may be asked to complete a cinematic test.